19 October 2009

Homemade Pumpkin Pie

I absolutely love this time year, mainly because it's pumpkin season! This year, I decided I would make a pumpkin pie with a real pumpkin. I used a blue pumpkin, which has less seeds and "goo" and more "meat" than a traditional pumpkin. FYI, blue pumpkins smell like watermelons!

Before - that doesn't even look like a pumpkin!

After

It took a while to cut the pumpkin. Thank goodness for a good knife and muscles!

We finally got the pumpkin cut in half...it's orange inside! I mean I knew it was going to be orange inside but didn't really know :)
We scooped out all of the yucky stuff! I saved the seeds so I could roast them later.


The next step is to put the pumpkin into the microwave with a little bit of water and cook until the pumpkin is soft. Scoop out the meat and throw away the skin.

Put the meat into the food processor and blend until creamy smooth.

Here's the pie before it went into the oven. YUMMY!


Benjamin taking a break from school work and eating some pie!

The verdict is in...both Benjamin and I think the pie tasted just like a canned pumpkin pie. Benjamin thought you could taste more spices in the homemade pie. We also both agreed that the homemade crust was a lot better that the store bought crust. I think I'll just stick to canned pumpkin pies with homemade crusts!

Property of the United States Air Force

Property of the United States Air Force